Monday, August 25, 2014

Week 38

       A perpetual state of uncomfortableness- that sums it up. All basic actions of life usually have to be performed with modifications. Sleeping (if there is any) must be done so in segments; Fall asleep sitting up, wake up and pee, switch positions, rinse and repeat 4 more times. Eating must happen in small portions because there is just no more room in there for both a meal and a baby. Walking is done in moderation because the pressure in my pelvis is just too much to handle. Sitting down for more than 5 minutes requires a new position every 5-10 minutes. And everywhere I go, I need my Tervis full of ice cold water. I think I might drink the equivalent of a swimming pool daily, which means I'm visiting the bathroom that often as well.  This pregnancy has been quite the experience, but it's time for it to be over.

       This week I had the privilege of putting life in perspective. I was driving home from work on Friday and was about 2-3 miles from our exit on the interstate when traffic began to slow and in a matter of minutes dozens of emergency vehicles were passing by in the emergency lanes. I knew it had to be very bad after seeing EMS Supervisors, 3 fire trucks and countless police fly past me. I could see people in my rear view getting out of their cars, trying to catch a glimpse of what happened, talking on their phones angrily because they were stuck. Eventually they closed the interstate and turned us all around to detour back to the last exit. I thought to myself, "it would really suck if I went into labor right now" And after driving for 2 1/2 hours on a trip that is typically 25 minutes, I made it home to my husband. I still had my life, while someone else did not. Even if I went into labor, I'd still be alive- I would have been taken to the hospital by one of the many emergency vehicles rerouting traffic and I would have been fine. Sure my bladder was really full, but I made it back just fine.  On my way to work there was another fatality accident  where again I was thankful for my life. I sure will pray for those families that lost their  loved ones.

     And finally- My last doctor's appointment was today. I'm still 2cm dilated, she is still head down. I felt minor disappointment today knowing that those painful "contractions" did nothing to my cervix (well maybe it thinned out...but whatever!) However, the end is in sight. My doctor has scheduled me to be induced on September 2nd. He asked me last week if I would want that and I said I would consider. My doctor would be the one to deliver the baby, and I could have the epidural at anytime (he said that...that won me over). I debated even writing this because I know there are so many people out there that have their opinions about getting induced and the baby will come out when ready- but this is my body and my daughter's birth - I get to choose. You are more than welcome to share your opinion or voice your concerns but she has 7 days to vacate the premises or she is getting evicted.
xo-JV

No comments:

Post a Comment